This post is to draw attention to amendments I have made on exercises and assignments based on feedback from my tutors. Below are summaries on the changes I have made with a link provided to the original post for each piece of work.
Assignment 2 – Point of sale display : My tutor noted that in my research there were clear examples of text being used alongside image. To extend the assignment I added type but also changed the background to a flat colour. I was not entirely happy with what I had used before and I think this makes the style of them more consistent with one another.
Exercise 3. Image development: To extend this project I cropped the final drawing and faded parts of the reclining / drunk figure. I also enhanced the ‘aged’ sketchbook effect of the piece by digitally replacing the background paper and reworking the font to a more ornate script.
Exercise 3.5 Giving Instructions : Feedback on this exercise noted that the background was dominating the design. I think one reason for this was the bright orange which I toned down. After reworking the background and type I converted the entire image to black and white which I think worked in bringing the instructions to the fore but was also more in keeping with the original flyers which provided inspiration for this work.
Assignment 3 – A Poster : In comments from my tutor on this assignment she noted that I should consider hierarchy more in my designs. She noted –
“In your final piece for this project all your elements are ‘turned up to eleven’! Which aspects could be smaller, or paler, or fade into the distance?”
I think this is fair comment and in the rework below I attempted to address this. I made the phoenix and fire more prominent in the foreground and the main point of focus and then moved the type top and bottom as banners, I felt this would make the image easier to read. By making the back panel black with a simple sun shape behind the pyramid I hoped to put these elements firmly in the background as viewed through the ‘windows’ made by the light rays coming from the pyramid.
Exercise 4.2 Museum Posters : My tutor noted that because of the change in styles the posters had lost a bit of their ‘family feel’ so I have reworked them slightly in an effort to bring them together as a group. Most notably the poster for the child audience which I simplified and now has a ‘flat’ orange as the background and overall the palette has less colours.
Assignment 4 – Magazine illustration : Acting on feedback from my tutor I tried different cropped versions one of which I applied to a mock up of the magazine layout that would allow the viewer to contextualise the scale of the image in relation to the text.
Exercise 5.6 Working for children: Feedback on my work from part 5 suggested experimenting with more visual options before reaching the final outcome. This exercise was completely reworked from the beginning in order to demonstrate this.